Here we go again–more words and phrases that are handy to know to improve your understanding of the online world. Becoming increasingly popular, online marketing is a powerful tool with the ability to reach millions. How many of the following online marketing terms do you know?
- Ad Banner: an online advertisement that is linked to another website
- Ad Blocking: preventing ads from appearing on a computer
- Ad Space: the locations on the web that are reserved for online advertisements
- Affiliate Marketing: a performance-based type of marketing where one business (publisher) is rewarded for helping another business promote their product, service and/or website
- Bait and Switch: placing keywords on a site with the intent of tricking search engines into listing the site whenever those words are searched
- CTR (Click Through Rate): the percentage of individuals that click on an ad when they see it
- Content Marketing: the process of creating valuable, relevant content for various marketing channels
- Conversion Rate: a measurement of the percentage of website or ad viewers who take a desired action (ex. make an online purchase, submit a form, etc.)
- Directory Advertising: any type of advertising found on a directory
- Geotargeting: targeting audiences and prospects based on geographic location
- House Ad: an ad that a company places on their own website; typically done if a company is unable to fill their ad space
- Interactive Marketing: creating campaigns that individuals interact with (ex. Racing video game featuring Nissan GTRs)
- Paid Listings: listings that are sold to online advertisers
- Permission Marketing: individuals give consent to receive various types of marketing information
- Reach: the percentage of a company’s total audience that is attracted to their website, advertisement, etc.
- Social Ad: small, banner-like ads placed on users’ social networking profile pages
There you have it, online marketing lingo in a nutshell. The next time someone throws one of these online marketing terms at you, you’ll know how to handle it.